Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

#51: Ladybug Spider

Hail spring! We just set our clocks ahead this past weekend, and I could hear the rain pouring last night--one step closer to green grass. I knew I would eventually be making a ladybug spider, but I thought that a spider with a ladybug's body might be a bit too bizarre. So hop aboard the ladybug express, a really astonishing glass leaf with brilliant orange and gold. Two ladybirds are all ready to take flight.

I also chose to make this spider today because it's my good friend Joey's birthday, and she has a thing for ladybugs. I had a thing for ladybugs in my 20s and got a not-so-great tattoo of a ladybug on a leaf on my foot from my brother's then-neighbor three apartment doors down. The best part of this particular tattoo story is that the "artist" decided to rob a store with his brother a couple of months later, got caught, and spent some time in the slammer. Don't quit your day job, Fella.

In closing, I have always loved this dark nursery rhyme about the ladybug, which was my reason for getting the tattoo: "Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, your children alone." Incidentally, this poem is as old as time and has many variations, but this particular version was quoted by Mark Twain in Tom Sawyer. Some variations are much darker, but in its origination, the rhyme was a superstitious means of retaining or obtaining luck. Looks like tomorrow will be a lucky day, for sure!

Materials: foil glass leaf pendant, brass ladybugs, red glass bead, orange glass bugle beads, red and black glass seed beads, red rondelle beads, variegated orange beads, lime green floral wire