Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

#59: Wild at Heart Spider

I went through a Lynch phase in college. It began with me telling my dad that The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover is the weirdest movie ever made. You can see my mistake right away. There is NO stranger movie than a Lynch movie. My dad told me to watch Eraserhead, a movie that sent my brain spiraling down the rabbit hole. Wha-? Huh? I love symbolism in movies and books, but I couldn't make any sense at all of the movie. I began renting other Lynch films: Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Fire Walk With Me and the rest of the Twin Peaks series.

Wild at Heart wasn't Lynch's weirdest creation, not by a long shot. And the movie only grossed $14 million with a budget at just $10M. In addition to the typical bizarreness and violence in Lynch movies, Wild at Heart also includes allusions to The Wizard of Oz and references to Elvis Presley. But what I remember most is the fire.

I didn't really make this spider as an homage to Lynch's Wild at Heart, but the colors and design that the metal charm evoked for me went in that direction. I could have just as easily written a description of Disney's Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken, which was released a year after Wild at Heart, about a runaway orphan's dream to become a diving girl in a horse show, but that would be a stretch. This spider speaks more of a damaged relationship, a haunted past, and a tormented future. Long live Sailor and Lula!

Materials: Tandy metal heart charm; red and orange glass beads; red, orange, and yellow glass bugle beads; red and orange E beads; silver seed beads; silver wire