Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

#14: Sewing Spider

I used to think sewing was boring and too detailed and time consuming. My mom was an avid sewer, and I just didn't get why she enjoyed it. But I had my moment of zen when I decided to make pencil totes for the editors in my department for Christmas one year. And I've been sewing ever since. To pick up any craft, you have to want to get something out of it badly enough that you put everything you have into learning or relearning the craft. People who say they're not creative just haven't found that thing worth being creative for.

So, the sewing spider is really my tribute to the most wonderfully useful craft that exists. Plus, I have a real thing for pincushions. I've made several pincushion rings, pincushion pendants, and pincushions in teacups and from other porcelain knick knacks. I should probably be collecting pincushions. Making a pincushion sewing spider just made sense for a lot of reasons. I even used an old thimble from my great grandmother's button box for the pincushion base, and the sewing machine charm has a loop for a jump ring so the spider can be used as a pendant.

Materials: thimble, fabric, thread, Polyfil, sewing machine charm, metal bugle beads, red plastic seed beads, blue plastic E beads, wire