Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

#210: Drag Racing Spider


I was at Michaels in their kids' summer craft section and spotted pine wood pull-back car kits for $1--el cheapo! How cool to make a spider that MOVES! Yeah, guess what you get for a dollar? Exactly what you paid for, that's what. I used just the device with the pull-back gears for my spider (plus the rods and tires). I started off by making an actual pine wood body; I just adapted the car to make it smaller, but it was still too big for a spider (see photo), so I adapted the model once again, taking it down to just the bare bones (and adding some cool checkered-flag paper to the body). Although the spider looks very cool (IMO), it lacks mobility. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But the spider gets 5 stars for ingenuity.

Remember the movie Animal House? At the very end, the frat boys convert Fred's Lincoln Continental into a deathmobile to crash the homecoming parade. This was what I had in mind when I was creating my spider, although mine looks nothing like the deathmobile in the movie.

Materials: pull-back car mechanism with tire rods and tires, hounds tooth glitter card stock, painted wooden bead, black and teal bugle beads, black and teal seed beads, silver wire