Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

#219: Sunken Treasure Spider

Working on this spider reminded me of the excitement I felt early in my project when I created the Message in a Bottle spider and even found an appropriate poem that I scripted and rolled up to place in the bottle. My sunken treasure spider is a small "treasure chest" filled with rhinestones/gems, a conch shell, and a mermaid. I included a real shell from a broke necklace and a padlock from a toggle clasp. Altogether, this piece blends the dingy tarnish of things long lost to the sea and the rich splendor of extravagant travel by ocean liner. I couldn't help but think of the Titanic or even the iron-ore ship, The Edmund Fitzgerald (my absolute favorite sunken ship story), while I was making this spider. Being a person who is absolutely mesmerized by the history of an object, how it goes from something brand new to something unrecognizable, I couldn't have picked a better spider to represent that wonder.

Materials: metal chest pendant, rhinestones on netting, large rhinestone, large topaz rhinestone, metal mermaid finding with orange stone, conch shell charm, padlock charm, iridescent shell, rhinestone encrusted spacer, faux tan pearl, gray and iridescent brown bugle beads, sage green seed beads, blue glass pearl beads, silver wire